The 50th annual Daejong Film Awards took place yesterday at the KBS Hall with Ha Ji Won and Shin Hyun Joon as masters of ceremony. This year’s biggest blockbuster films took home most of the awards. The Face reader got 6 out of its 11 nominations, Miracle in Room No.7 took home 4 awards, Snowpiercer and Berlin Files got 2.
The three male cast members of The Face Reader managed to get individual awards. Song Kang Ho got the best actor award while Jo Jung Suk took home the best supporting actor award. This is Jo Jung Suk’s first win as actor (those other popularity awards don’t count). This must really be his year. He’s living up to the title “breakout star”. Meanwhile, Lee Jung Jae grabbed the popular choice award. It is also interesting to note that Kim Soo Hyun bagged the award for best male newcomer. The boy’s gone a long way from his Dream High days. I believe he even surpassed those who came before him not just in popularity but in artistic merits as well.
This year’s awarding ceremony was far more interesting than last year which was so predictable with Masquerade winning most (and I mean MOST) of the 22 categories.
Here’s the list of the winners:
- Best Film: The Face Reader
- Best Director: Han Jae-rim (The Face Reader)
- Best Screenplay: Miracle in Cell No.7
- Best Actor: Ryu Seung Ryong (Miracle in Cell No.7) and Song Kang Ho (The Face Reader)
- Best Actress: Uhm Jung Hwa (Montage)
- Best Supporting Actor: Jo Jung Suk
- Best Supporting Actress: Jang Young Nam (Wolf Boy)
- New Director Award: Jung Byung Gil (Confession of Murder)
- Best Newcomer Actress: Seo Eun Ah (Act)
- Best Newcomer Actor: Kim Soo hyun (Secretly, Greatly)
- Best in Cinematography: Berlin Files
- Best in Editing: Snowpiercer
- Best in Lighting: Berlin Files
- Best Costume Design: The Face Reader
- Best Art Direction: Snowpiercer
- Best Musical Score: New World
- Best Production: Miracle in Room No.7
- Popularity Award: Lee Jung Jae (The Face Reader)
- Special Jury Prize: Miracle in Room No.7