The 2013 APAN Star Awards was held on November 16th at Jeongsimhwa Cultural Center in Daejeon City hence its known locally as Dejeon Drama Festival.Lee Hwi Jae and Soyeon of T-Ara were the masters of ceremonies. The very successful ghost story romantic drama, “I Can Hear Your Voice” took home four major awards including Best Couple for its leads Lee Bo Young and Lee Jong Suk.
This is another one of the many awarding ceremonies in South Korea. Don’t they just love to hand out awards? Most of the major cities have their own drama or movie festivals. It’s probably they way of promoting tourism so can’t really blame them besides most of the people love to see some celebrities in their own turf. Not to mention each of the major broadcast networks have their own drama awards to boot. When you look at the list though, it’s a bit confusing. It seems like they want to accommodate everyone so they give out awards in “hierarchy” as I’d like to call it. So don’t get confused to see so many best actors and actresses. So, what’s the difference between a best actor from an excellent actor to an acting award for an actor? Confusing eh?! Beats me!
Here are winners:
- Daesang Grand Prize – Song Hye Gyo (That Winter the Wind Blows)
- Best Lead Actor – Lee Jun Ki (Two Weeks)
- Best Lead Actress – Lee Bo Young (I Can Hear Your Voice)
- Excellent Actor Award – Lee Jong Suk (I Can Hear Your Voice)
- Excellent Actress Award – Kim So Yeon (Two Weeks)
- Acting Award (Actor) – Jung Woong In (I Can Hear Your Voice)
- Acting Award (Actress) – Kim Sung Ryung (Queen of Ambition)
- Best Couple Award – Lee Jong Suk and Lee Bo Young (I Can Hear Your Voice)
- Best Rookie Actor – Choi Jin Hyuk (Gu Family Book) and Kim Woo Bin (School 2013)
- Best Rookie Actress – Lee Yoo Bi (Gu Family Book)and Kim Yoo Ri (The Master’s Sun, Cheongdamdong Alice)
- Best Child Actor – Cheon Bo Keun (The Queen’s Classroom)
- Best Child Actress – Kim Hyang Gi (The Queen’s Classroom)
- Excellence in Writing Award – Son Hyung Kyung (Two Weeks)
- Best Director Award – Kim Byung Soo (Nine)
- Best Performance Award – Jung Eun Ji
- Best Dressed Award – Yoon Jung Hoon, Yoo In Young
- All Star Popularity Award – Joo Ji Hoon, Oh Yeon Seo
- Best Original Song – Winter Story by The One (That Winter, The Wind Blows)
Check out the gallery
Song Hye Gyo
Lee Jun Ki
Lee Jong Suk
So Yi Hyun
Seohyun and Lee Hwi Jae
Lee Yoo Bi
Choi Jin Hyuk
Kim Sung Ryung
Tags: Choi Jin Hyuk, Daejeon Drama Awards, entertainment, I Can Hear Your Voice, Korean Stars, Lee Bo Young, Lee Jong Suk, Red Carpet, Song Hye Gyo, That Winter the Wind Blows, Two Weeks
Three weeks after it’s opening day, September 11, The Face Reader (관상) has mobilized a crowd of 8,046,362 (based on Korean Film Council data as of September 30) and still counting.
The movie attracted 6.35 million moviegoers over the 5-day (from Wednesday to Sunday) Chuseok holidays. It is thus far,only the 3rd movie in South Korea to have done so.
In 6 days it overtook the record previously held by The Host (2006) having attracted 6 million viewers. It has also surpassed the 7 million mark only after 13 days beating the record previously set by The Thieves which ended its run at 13 million viewers.
With a strong story masterfully woven by director Han Jae Rim about a skilled physiognomist named Nae Kyung (Song Kang Ho) who can judge a person’s character and fate. He travels from the countryside to city in the hope of carving a name for himself. He is then embroiled in a power struggle leading to the revolt of Kim Jong Seo (Baek Yoon Sik), a loyal subject of King Munjong against the power hungry Prince Yoo Sang (Lee Jung Jae). Backed with a star studded cast of Kim Hye Soo, Lee Jong Suk and Jo Jung Suk, the movie has box-office success written all over it.
It also proves that the Korean moviegoers love historical movies during the Mid-Atumn Festival (Chuseok) with last year’s “The Masquerade” attracting over 10 million moviegoers. It is only a matter of time whether The Face Reader can duplicate this feat or fall short.
No Breathing or 노브레싱 is an upcoming South Korean drama which brings together up and coming young actors Lee Jong Suk and Seo In Guk. Both have become practically overnight stars after each of their dramas became very popular. Seo In Guk starred in the tvN drama Reply 1997 with screen partner Jung Eun Ji whose screen chemistry took the dramaworld by surprise and even got them a popularity award for best couple. Lee Jong Suk on the other hand got noticed in School 2013 for his undeniably cute bromance with Kim Woo Bin (who by the way is also enjoying his newfound popularity and is starring opposite Lee Min Ho and Park Shin Hye in the upcoming drama “Heirs“). But it was not until he starred as a lovable mind reader in I Hear Your Voice 너의 목소리가 들려 which catapulted him to full stardom.
The movie is based on a popular comic book called Flowerboy Swimming Team 꽃미남수영부. LJS plays Woo Sung whose ambition is to become the best swimmer. SIG is Won Il a gifted but hesitant swimming wonder. They are childhood friends but also fierce rivals in sport as well as in love. SNSD’s Kwon Yu Ri is Jung Eun the girl whom they both love. No breathing is a coming of age movie which depicts the struggles of the main characters as they reach for dreams,experience first loves and deal with the hardships that comes with it. The filming took place in Davao in the southern part of the Philippines. It will be released next month in Korean cinemas.